Saturday, September 17, 2011

Beef with Couscous


The school year has started, Autumn is making itself known, and my time in the kitchen has been greatly diminished. This last week I only had one night that I was home before 9pm, and that was Monday. I can't say that I'm not enjoying all the activity that is keeping me out of the kitchen, I love my new job at the school and am having a good time networking with people. I simply miss having all the good cooked food that is the result of fun time in the kitchen.

Last weekend, my husband and I finally had some time to spend together, and in the kitchen. My goal for this fall is to get him more into cooking, since I'd be happy spending the whole weekend in the kitchen and the weekend is the only time we get to spend together. It is a bit selfish, I know. But I go to his gigs!! So, Dave spent Saturday and Sunday evening in the kitchen with me, helping me cut up vegetables and making rice (I can make truffles, but I cannot make rice that isn't soggy and gloopy to save my life!)

We had this dish on Sunday and it was a nice change from our usual Italian and Tex-Mex dishes. Also, I got to go to Penzey's and buy a new spice mix.
I just love that place! I'm sure you've noticed. I picked up some of their Garam Masala mix, which smells like heaven. I'm looking forward to using it in future Indian-inspired recipes. Chicken Tikka Masala, here we come!

Beef with Couscous
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press
1 teaspoon minced, peeled fresh ginger
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon curry powered
1 teaspoon garam masala spice mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2 inch chunks (I think you could substitute whatever is currently in season)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas (I forgot to pick these up, so we used corn. it was still good!)
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 cup plain couscous
1/2 cup golden raisins

1. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes or until golden. Stir in garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute.

2. Stir in ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with side of spoon, about 5 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink. Stir in curry powder, garam masala, and salt; cook 30 seconds. Add squash and cook 2 minutes.

3. Add broth and frozen peas; cook until slightly thickened and flavors blend. Stir in cilantro.

4. Meanwhile, prepare couscous as label directs but add raisins with water.

5. Fluff couscous with fork and serve with beef mixture. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm going to have to make this! :)

    ReplyDelete