This was also a fun experiment with the 6 inch cake pan. We don't need a whole 9-inch two layer cake for two people, so I cut down the recipe by half and made a 6 inch two layer cake. The only difficulty with this was the baking time. It was just a matter of setting the timer for smaller intervals and checking the cake often.
|Lop-sided cake... this is the reason for my cake-guillotine.|
No-egg Chocolate Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350, grease and flour a 6 inch round pan.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt. Add sugar and mix together.
3. Add oil, water and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
Mocha- Almond Frosting
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tablespoons hot brewed coffee
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons half & half
1. Whisk together sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Combine coffee, vanilla and almond extract in another bowl.
2. Beat butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugar mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Beat in half and half, 1 tablespoon at a time until smooth and mixture has reached desired consistency.
*A word about the frosting: DELICIOUS. It is so creamy and light. If you don't have or want to use the almond extract, use a full teaspoon of vanilla extract in the frosting instead.*
Assembling the cake:
1. When cake layers are completely cool, place bottom layer on serving plate. Trim tops of both layers to create flat, even pieces. Spread a layer of frosting on top of the cake. Top with second layer of cake and frost top and sides.