Sunday, March 6, 2011

No Bake

After my freak out last posting, I thought a little more (perhaps more realistically as well) about it, I realized that I don't really want to go into the high pressure professional cooking world. Nor do I think I'm honestly that good. I cook well enough for home and friends, and I'm happy with that. I just want to do what I love for a living- whatever form that takes. Right now, I'm just having a hard time seeing how that is going to work out.

Plus, I also watched this documentary: "The Kings of Pastry" and that sure snapped me back into reality.
 Although, it did call my attention to the fact that there is a cooking school right in Chicago that is the only cooking school in the US devoted entirely to pastry. Run by the men from France who are featured in above documentary. Being realistic though, I think maybe I should start by checking out some of my local community college or adult education cooking classes.

Friday night (which is quickly turning into my night in the kitchen, for some reason) I decided I needed comfort food. Quick and easy comfort food. So I turned to my favorite cookie from childhood: the Chocolate and Peanut Butter No Bake.

These are one of those cookies that I always forget about, but as soon as something triggers my memory of them, I have to have one... NOW! Plus, they are super addictive and I could probably eat the whole batch in the span of a couple days. Not that I would do that, but the temptation is definitely there. 

They are also super easy to make- as long as you're patient enough to watch the sugar/peanut butter/milk combo boil for a minute. Which, when I was younger I could not do for some reason. I wanted them so badly I either didn't wait long enough, and then they'd just be a gloppy mess that never hardened to the right consistency, or I would sit on my hands too long trying to be good, and they'd turn out like hockey pucks. Thankfully, I have matured enough that I can finally manage to get it just right and have them turn out a good, chewy consistency. 

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups oatmeal

In a heavy saucepan, bring first four ingredients to a boil. Boil for one minute, then add the peanut butter, oatmeal and vanilla. Drop cookies by spoonful onto waxed paper and wait for them to cool and set. 


1 comment:

  1. Ohh, those were my favorites growing up too! I think my mom may have put rice crispies in them. And for future reference, I remember eating food that you'd cooked when we were still in college and you are good enough to be a professional cook. Jobs suck right now because of the economy, and it's hard to not reflect on your skill level when you're seeking for a job that's not there. I have so many friends going through the same thing right now. Maybe this is your time away from teaching because you deserve an opportunity to spend more time in the kitchen. I know a lot of people would disagree with that, but you and I know the truth, being in the kitchen is fun and rewarding. Take care!

    ReplyDelete